Setting your own schedule, working in your pjs with no makeup and having Fixer Upper on in the background while you work sounds like a dream job right? While yes, all the above are true, there a few things that are not so glamorous no one tells you about working from home.
10 things I wish someone told me about working from home:
- You will most likely work twice as many hours working for yourself than for a job you clock in and out of.
- You have to learn to take the emotion out of work. If you are having a bad day you can’t rely on anyone else to come in and save the day for your business, you have to push through it.
- It’ll push your character more than anything else ever will…talk about self discipline! You also have to know a little bit about everything (marketing, software, bookkeeping, managing, etc…)
- Everyone will assume you just take naps and have all the time in the world to do errands.
- You have to learn how to set your own business hours and learn to walk away from your computer.
- Being in your pjs is fun all of two days and then you will actually look for excuses to dress up anytime you can!
- You maybe your own boss, but you are also your own encourager, critiquer, idea giver, teammate, manager, etc…at least for the first little while.
- You will never enjoy having your own designated workspace more in your life.
- It can be really lonely and your social life will be crucial for your sanity.
- Your spouse will not understand your work, nor any reason you won’t be done with work the minute they walk through the door. You will need to communicate more than ever with each other about your work hours and schedule!
Even though there are things that can be really hard about working from home, it’s what I personally thrive in for a work environment and wouldn’t change it for the world!
Do you work from home? What is one thing you learned about working from home that surprised you?
Jul 10, 2018