Narrow shoulders, smaller waist and then hips for days? Yep, I’m with you! I’m excited to talk about todays body type, because it’s same one that I have. Let’s talk about how to dress a pear shape body.
Celebrity body look-a-likes: Shakira, Kelly Clarkson and Eva Longoria
Key Takeaway: We want to balance out the body line, by adding volume/interest to the top and slimming our hips (all the while keep a defined waistline).
DISCLAIMER: You can honestly wear whatever makes you feel beautiful and confident in! These are just basic guidelines to what is usually the most flattering for a pear shape. Don’t forget though: you do you boo!
- Structure jackets that have strong or decorative shoulders (such as metal studs). Also colorful and embellished tops to draw the eye upward.
- V necks and large scoop necklines (also lots of layering of tops is good too!)
- Choose shirts that are the right length. Look for tops that skim over your hips; tops that extend just below you hipbone extend your torso and mask the widest part of your hips.
- Also circle hem tops or tops with slits on the side so it lays nicely around the hips
- Boxy styled tops
- Avoid hemlines that reach down to your thighs, since these will only make the widest part of your legs look wider. On the flip side, crop tops should be widely avoided as well for drawing attention to your midsection, which is too close to your hips to be flattering.
- Tops that have no stretch or are tight around your hips
- Wide leg or straight legged pants/trousers will help balance out the body line and make you seem slimmer
- Darker colors
- A line skirts also do a great job balance out the body line and takes the emphasis off the hips
- Avoid rompers and playsuits, unless you can get it tailored
- No boyfriend jeans
- Unless your feeling really confident, shy away from skinny jeans that can really emphasize your hips
- Empire waist line is your best friend! Bring all the attention to the smallest part of you and the let the rest of the dress fall gently around your hips
- Structured dress that has a strong hourglass sillhoutte
- Break it up in two pieces whenever possible! Because our top is always smaller than our bottom its really really hard to find dresses and rompers that fit our entire body well. Much easier to find a top and skirt separately
- Avoid drop waist dresses
- Dress that tie right at the hips
- Shapeless dress that don’t have a defined waist
Was this your body shape? What other tips do you have for a pear shaped body?
May 23, 2018